Documents for download:
Ensemble Phoenix Munich (EPM) was established in 2003 by Joel Frederiksen, leading early music specialist, after moving to Munich, Germany. The ensemble is heir to Mr. Frederiksen`s previous group, L`antica musica New York (1989-2001) which toured America and ran a successful concert series at St. Bartholomew's Church on Park Avenue in New York City. Since 2007, the group has presented a concert series in Munich at the Bavarian National Museum and performed at leading international festivals. EPM records for harmonia mundi France.
EPMs programing reflects the wide-ranging interests of its founder and director, Joel Frederiksen, presenting music from the European Renaissance and Baroque (c1500-1650) to Early America (c1800-1900). The ensemble has even commissioned new works. For "Project Martinelli" , for instance, the ensemble commissioned pieces from composers Laurence Traiger (USA/Munich) and Willem Ceuleers (Belgium).
The interest of artistic director Joel Frederiksen lies in innovative and original programming based on careful research. The ensemble regularly performs from original facsimiles, uses historical instruments and tunings appropriate to country and time period, and adheres as closely as possible to recent research regarding all aspects of interpretation. At the same time, the ultimate goal in performance is meaningful communication with the audience. Ensemble Phoenix Munich programs are engaging and seek, to use the Baroque expression, to reach and to move the "affections" of the listeners.
- ECHO Klassik 2013: For the CD Requiem for a Pink Moon, the Ensemble Phoenix Munich has received in 2013 the famous german Prize ECHO-Klassik, Category "Classics without limits". Echo Klassik Website
- Golden Orpheus: Joel Frederiksen receives the critic’s prize, L'ORPHÉE D'OR 2011, Prix Martti Talvela, for his bass singing on a CD with Emma Kirkby, soprano. May 3, 2011 Joel Frederiksen Website
- German Record Critics Prize: For the CD O felice morire in 2008
- Classical Musician of the Year: From Munich's Evening News (Abendzeitung) Joel Frederiksen received this prestigious award in 2008.
- BEST OF 2007: Record of the Year List from CLASSICSTODAY.COM and AUDIOPHILE AUDITION for the CD The Elfin Knight
Selected list of Festivals and Venues where EPM has performed:
The Flanders Festival, Ghent and Brugge, Belgium * The Wallonie Festival, Namur, Belgium * Innsbruck Early Music Festival, Austria * Palau de la música, Valencia, Spain * Teatro Jovellanos, Gijon, Spain * St. Galler Festspiele, St. Gallen, Switzerland * The Black Diamond, Copenhagen, Denmark * Vendsyssel Festival, Denmark * Les Concerts Parisiens, Paris, France * New Masters of Early Music Concert Series, Munich, Germany * Prague Spring International Music Festival, Czech Republic * Strings of Autumn International Music Festival, Prague, Czech Republic * Prague Symphony Orchestra Early Music Concert Series, Czech Republic * Janacek May Festival, Ostrava, Czech Republic * Znojmo Music Festival, Czech Republic * Varazdin Baroque Days, Varazdin, Croatia * Bratislava International Music Festival, Slovakia * Akbank Cultural Center, Istanbul, Turkey * Music in Old Krakow Festival, Krakow, Poland * Mikolow Music Days, Poland * Noorderkerkconcerten, Amsterdam, Netherlands